Words...words are spoken and written every day of the week. Many are kind...many just the opposite...many are interpreted differently than their intent.
We have settled or would like to assume that we have settled in to the post-Christmas routine, survival until March. We put our heads down and try not to curl in the fetal position while we cry from the cold cracking our lips and freezing our toes. We like to escape to the inside of gyms for relief.
Jere had his basketball practice tonight. It was to be a good ending to a good day. We had our first appointment with our latest attempt to find the cause versus treat the symptoms with what prevents Jere from being his best. He really liked the counselor and she listened to our words today. She didn't want to hear what happened...She wanted to hear what is happening. It was refreshing. Jere went in nervous (as did I) and came out confident and hopeful. He went to school as excited as I have seen him in quite a while.
I received a text from Zach that arrived late in the day with words that read, "Jere got all of his homework done. He got a nine." No kidding I thought. He must be wrong. Jere NEVER does his homework. EVER. Wow...we are turning this week around after a really tough start.
I finished my day driving home on the phone with a vendor speaking words about giving his boss a hard time about a decision he made to not attend an upcoming trip. I ended the call as I pulled up into my garage. I sat for just a second in there, gathering myself to prepare for the daily battle of homework and dinner. I can do this. It's Wednesday. We are at the mid point. One night of fighting after this.
I walk in to silence. Not possible. No screaming or yelling or running dog with children. Homework is done. My children are content. Dinner was warmed up and we ate quickly so Jere could get ready for basketball. Off he goes with Daddy in the car. "Have fun buddy!" "Okay Mommy!"
The next hour was a blur as I spoke with a neighbor to get my girl chat bucket filled up. I went home smiling. Jere's teacher called to discuss the great day. I cleaned up the kitchen getting ready to celebrate with ice cream sundaes. No whipped cream, no problem. We have SPRINKLES!! Best mom ever award coming my way. Then it happened.
Jere walked in the door with the look. The "I am totally drowning and if you touch me I will sob" look. "Hey Bud! How was basketball?" His flush little face was so devastated. What could have happened in an hour? What did Brian do now to ruin it all? Jere came over to me, grabbed me and just sobbed. Brian came around the corner with a devastated panicked look. "Jere is upset." "I am not going to jail." What?!? We are having ice cream sundaes! There is no talk of jail.
We sit down and talk it out. Apparently something happened where Jere sat down and a coach, A COACH, came over to him and said, "Some people don't listen. When they don't listen they can go down a bad path and end up in jail." Jere took that to mean he was going to jail, and immediately went over to Brian. Brian spoke with the coach to tell him his words hurt. The coach said of course he didn't mean what Jere felt. The coach apologized but his words were out there hanging in space forever to loom in the back of Jere's mind.
Words....how many words do you say or write in a day? My child was completely devastated today by words. I know I don't always say the right words, but because of my amazing, brilliant son, I will tell you that I choose them more carefully. I don't blame the coach. I want the village to raise my child, and I know he was trying to teach a lesson. I hope my words of encouragement stomped on those looming words to help them sting a little less. I also hope that words will be used for the greater good as we progress through life because we just don't have time on our sides to fix all the damage we are creating with our words.
Please pay it forward...say a kind word tomorrow to someone at random to kick start the cycle of kind words. My words for you are thank you for your encouragement to keep going and give a podium and voice to this tired yet hopeful mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment